At the end of the 17th century a charity school was established at Stanton Ford to serve Calver, Curbar, Froggatt and Baslow but, following the Elementary Education Act in 1870, it was closed and a new school built by the Duke of Rutland in Baslow Churchyard. This was replaced by the present school, on School Lane, which opened on 24th October 1876.
The total cost of the school and Master’s house, £1 534, was raised by donations from the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Rutland and a voluntary rate. In 1950 the school buildings were transferred to the Education Committee and gained the status of a Voluntary Controlled school and a new name - Baslow St Anne's C of E Primary School. In 1966 the building was remodelled and extended to accommodate more pupils.
In 2001 we celebrated the 125th anniversary of the school. Many exciting events took place; there was a reunion of past staff and pupils and a time capsule was buried.
A purpose built extension was added in 2002 to house the youngest pupils and was achieved through fundraising by the Parent Teacher Association and funding from the Local Authority.
In 2005 the school garden was completed and officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. A new staffroom was added and the Headteacher’s office, creating a reception area. Finally, in 2007, the children’s toilets were completely refurbished and disabled facilities added.
Currently the school has five attractive classrooms, a large school hall, a staffroom, Headteacher’s office, welcoming reception area and its own school kitchen. There are two hard play areas and a garden for quiet play.
The school welcomes children from age 4 to 11.